Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Kharagpur, the first institution in India of its kind in India, was established in the year 1951 near Kharagpur at the Hijli Detention Camp in Midnapore district in the state of West Bengal. The institute started its academic program with only ten Departments, 224 students and 42 teachers in August 1951 in various buildings of the detention camp. The Honorable Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru, the first Prime Minister of India, laid the foundation stone of the New Building in March 1952. Starting from this modest beginning, the Institute has expanded today to have 19 Departments, 9 academic Centres for inter-disciplinary teaching and research and 12 Schools in a lush green, serene campus which is free from urban noise and pollution, representing the modern “Gurukul Ashram” of the developed India. B.Tech., M.Sc., M.Tech., M.B.A., L.L.B. and Ph.D. degrees are offered in different branches of engineering and sciences through various departments, centres and schools. In addition to regular academic programs, the Institute offers video conferencing based synchronous distance education, M.Tech. programs in select branches of engineering, and E-MBA program on weekends at Kolkata, Bhubaneswar and also at Kharagpur campuses. Short term courses are organized in various areas throughout the year as part of Continuing Education Programme. The Institute has constituted 4 verticals for multi-disciplinary research in areas like (a) Nanoscience and Technology, (b) Environmental Science and Engineering, (c) Bioscience and Medical Technology, and (d) Energy Engineering. A 600 bed specialized Medical School has been approved and is being set up. There is a Science and Technology Entrepreneur's Park, both on campus and off campus, which acts as a conduit with the external world in order to facilitate technology transfer and to convert research outcome of IIT faculty into commercially viable propositions. The Institute prides itself in having the Rajendra Mishra School of Engineering Entrepreneurship and the Rajiv Gandhi School of Intellectual Property Law which are powerful adjuncts to developing entrepreneurship among students and faculty. The Institute is a self-contained township laid out over 2100 acres, with over 15,000 inhabitants. There are about 600 faculty, 1000 non-teaching employees and 11000 students on the campus.